Published on July 19, 2016 | By Chef Gina |
- Dry ingredients
- 3/4 cup GF flour
- 1/4 cup Oat flour (ground from GF oats)
- 1-1/2 tbsp Coconut sugar + more for topping
- 1/2 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- Wet ingredients
- 2-1/2 tbsp Cold coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Pecans, chopped
- 24 oz Fresh blueberries (let thaw if using frozen)
- 2 tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400° F and grease a 12-inch cast-iron or similar sized pan with vegan butter or coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix almond milk and lemon juice to begin curdling.
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry topping ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add cold coconut oil to the dry ingredients and use a fork or pastry cutter to cut it in. It should resemble the consistency of fine, wet sand.
- Add almond milk mixture a little at a time, stirring, until a dough is formed. It shouldn’t be too sticky.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and form into a disc with your hands. Set aside to rest.
- Add berries to the same mixing bowl and toss with sugar and arrowroot or cornstarch and then add to the greased pan.
- Gently break the biscuit topping apart and position it on top of the berries in clumps. Press down gently so it doesn't stick up too much.
- Sprinkle the top with 1-2 tbsp additional sugar and the chopped pecans. Bake for 20-28 minutes, or until bubbly and the topping is browned and semi-firm to the touch.