Boxty is a traditional Irish potato pancake that consists of finely grated, raw potato and mashed potatoes. The grated potato may be strained to remove most of the starch and water but this is not necessary. The mixture is fried on a griddle pan for a few minutes on each side, similar to a normal pancake.
Published on March 9, 2016 | By Chef Gina |
- 1/2 cup Soy milk
- 1/2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lb Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb Potatoes, peeled and grated (strain in a tea towel to remove as much water as possible)
- 1 tbsp Vegan butter
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- pinch Sea salt
- Oil for frying
- Fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Add the cut potatoes and cook until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl and mash until creamy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and vinegar, and set aside to curdle (forming a vegan buttermilk).
- In the bowl with the mashed potatoes, add the grated potatoes, butter, flour, baking powder, garlic, and salt, and mix gently.
- Add the buttermilk in splashes until it’s wet enough to form a soft dough. Stir until just mixed, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the dough into medium size balls, and then flatten each ball on a floured surface.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat with some oil and fry the cakes until golden, then flip and cook the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels for draining.