Jerk seasoning principally relies upon Scotch Bonnet chile pepper, allspice, and thyme. If you cannot handle spicy-hot foods, you can use a milder chili pepper (cayenne or serrano). But omitting the chile pepper vastly changes the end product. It is supposed to be quite spicy.
Caribbean Jerk Seasoning
Published on June 17, 2014 | By Chef Gina |
- 2/3 cup
- 1/2 cup Ground allspice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 2 tbsp Sea salt
- 6-8 cloves Garlic
- 4-6 Scotch Bonnet peppers, seeded and cored (wear gloves) or a milder chili like cayenne or serrano
- 1 tbsp Ground thyme
- 2 bunches Scallions
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will virtually keep forever.
- Recipe Type : Spice Blends & Rubs