Carrot dogs? Crazy as it may sound, these puppies are really tasty. The parboiled carrot have a meaty texture and a smokey, sweet flavor that will have carnivores asking for seconds.
- 4 dogs
- 4 Carrots, peeled
- ½ cup Tamari
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Smoked pepper (or chipotle powder)
- Cut the carrots into the length of a usual hot dog, then using a veggie peeler, shape each end so it's rounded.
- Parboil them until a fork can pierce the carrot easily but not all the way to the center (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from the water and pat dry.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small casserole dish and mix well. Add the parboiled carrots making sure they are submerged all the way. Add more marinade if needed. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- Take carrots out of the marinade and bake or grill until tender. Place in a hotdog bun and top with your favorite condiments.