Chocolate BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
Published on February 14, 2017 | By Chef Gina |
- 1 pkg Tempeh, sliced into thick strips
- Spice Rub
- 1/4 cup Coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Fresh parsley, minced
- Chocolate Stout BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 large cloves Garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup Tamari
- 6 ounces Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 cup Chocolate stout beer
- ⅓ cup Brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Cacao powder
- Spice Rub:
In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the spice rub. Mix well and set aside
- Chocolate BBQ Sauce:
In a pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Simmer until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the tempeh:
Steam the tempeh for 15 minutes until it softens a bit.
- Coat the tempeh with the spice rub and cook in the oven or on a grill until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes per side.
- Brush the Chocolate BBQ sauce on the tempeh and cook for another few minutes until slightly charred.
- Serve on your favorite bread and beer.