Like wine, vinegar or lemon juice, chocolate provides just the right touch of acidity. Italians love to add a hint of chocolate to sauces because it act as an emulsifier, adding natural thickness to sauces, and enhances the other flavors.
- 1 lb
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Prepare the vegan eggs according to the directions on the package.
- Make a well in the middle and add the vegan eggs. Work the egg and flour mixture together with your hands, adding a teaspoon of water at a time to hold the dough together. Add more flour, if needed.
- Knead the dough, for about 10 minutes, until it feels silky. Then, working in sections, pass it through your pasta maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. After you have passed it through once, begin to sprinkle the cocoa powder onto the pasta sheet and pass the pasta through the machine again. Repeat until all the cocoa powder is fully incorporated and the pasta dough is a uniform color.
- Cut the pasta into the desired shape and toss with flour to keep it from sticking.
- To cook chocolate pasta, place it into salted boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain and toss with olive oil.
- Serve the pasta with a simple sauce.