a healthy version of a classic American cookie.
Published on August 12, 2017 | By Chef Gina |
- 24 cookies
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup Spelt flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Wet Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Nondairy milk
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- 2 tbsp Vegan shortening
- Cream Filling
- 1/4 cup Vegan shortening (or coconut butter)
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Using a fork, "cut" in the shortening into the flour to create pea-sized bits. Add the remainder of the ingredients. Your dough should be smooth, add 1 tablespoon nondairy milk if not until smooth.
- Roll half the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut into 2" circles. Repeat with the second half of the dough. Should make about 24 circle cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack--they will firm up the longer they sit
- Cream FillingWith an electric mixer on medium speed, whip up the filling ingredients until smooth. Pour into a plastic baggie and cut one corner out. Pipe the filling onto one cookie and then sandwich with another.