Published on April 3, 2018 | By Chef Gina |
- Krab Cakes
- 1/2 cup Onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 sheet Toasted nori seaweed, ground (or 1 tbsp kelp or dulse granules)
- 2 lbs Extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed (or 2 (14 oz) jars hearts of palm, drained)
- 2-1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Plain, unsweetened nondairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare a baking pan with parchment paper or silpat.
- Heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauce until soft. Add garlic and sauce for 1 minute longer. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a food processor, add the onion-carrot mixture, nori powder, 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining krab cake ingredients and pulse until well combined but still chunky. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Breading: In a shallow dish combine Panko, Old Bay, and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and stir together. In a separate bowl add the nondairy milk.
- Form about 12 small cakes from the tofu mixture. Dip both sides of the cakes in the nondairy milk, then press into the Panko breading, coating well. Place cakes on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Place the baking sheet in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway through.