Wake up to these scones on a lazy weekend. Made with coconut sugar so they are low in sugar but great on taste. Op for fresh blueberries and lemons when in season.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups Spelt flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/3 cup Coconut sugar (reserve an extra 1 tbsp for topping)
- 2 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Fresh blueberries
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 (15 oz) can Full fat coconut milk (place unopened can in fridge overnight)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients except the blueberries, and mix well. Fold in the lemon zest and 1 cup of blueberries.
- Open the chilled canned coconut milk and scoop out the firm coconut from the top half of the can. (Use the leftover liquid for smoothies.) Place the coconut milk in a separate bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. With clean hands, mix the dough until combined and a little sticky. If the dough is too dry, add a little leftover coconut liquid, 1/2 tbsp at a time to the dough.
- Place the dough on the sheet pan and shape it into a flat circle about 9.5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle remaining blueberries and 1 tbsp date sugar on top. With a sharp wet knife, cut the circle into 8 equal slices. Separate the slices so they cook evenly all over.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.