Wake up to these scones on a lazy weekend. Made with coconut sugar so they are low in sugar but great on taste. Op for fresh blueberries and lemons when in season.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
Published on April 19, 2016 | By Chef Gina |
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups Spelt flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/3 cup Coconut sugar (reserve an extra 1 tbsp for topping)
- 2 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Fresh blueberries
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 (15 oz) can Full fat coconut milk (place unopened can in fridge overnight)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients except the blueberries, and mix well. Fold in the lemon zest and 1 cup of blueberries.
- Open the chilled canned coconut milk and scoop out the firm coconut from the top half of the can. (Use the leftover liquid for smoothies.) Place the coconut milk in a separate bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. With clean hands, mix the dough until combined and a little sticky. If the dough is too dry, add a little leftover coconut liquid, 1/2 tbsp at a time to the dough.
- Place the dough on the sheet pan and shape it into a flat circle about 9.5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle remaining blueberries and 1 tbsp date sugar on top. With a sharp wet knife, cut the circle into 8 equal slices. Separate the slices so they cook evenly all over.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.