The foundation of so many dishes., this easy tomato sauce is quick, easy, and builds a flavorful platform you can build other dishes upon.
- 4 cups
- 2 tbsp Vegetable stock or water
- 2 large Shallots, finely diced
- 2 large cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 (28 oz) can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Red wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Over medium-high heat, place the shallots and garlic in a sauté pan, stirring constantly as they start to caramelize. Add the broth 1 tablespoon at a time to keep them from sticking to the pan. Sauté until the shallots are soft and golden brown.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.