“En croute” is a French phrase meaning “in crust.” It is used to describe food that has been wrapped in dough or puff pastry prior to baking. Pepperidge Farms’ puff pastry is vegan but contains high-fructose corn syrup. I used Aussie Bakery puff pastry sheets found at Whole Foods. Or try your hand at making your own with this recipe.
Mushroom-Lentil En Croûte w/ Creamy Dill Sauce
Published on July 15, 2017 | By Chef Gina |
- Mushroom-Lentil Layer:
- 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 stalk Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz Portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup Cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine
- 1/3 cup Vegetable broth
- 2 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- Spinach Layer:
- 1 (10-oz) pkg. Frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup Sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated, drained, and chopped
- 2/3 cup Vegetable broth
- Creamy Dill Sauce:
- 1 cup Cashews, soaked for 8+ hours (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Dried dill
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1 pkg Puff pastry, thawed
- Let pastry thaw in the fridge overnight. Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Mushroom Layer: Spray large skillet with nonstick vegetable spray, and heat crushed pepper over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add garlic, celery and onions, and sauté 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, lentils, and thyme, and cook mixture 5 minutes.
- Add wine and vegetable broth. Reduce heat to low, add tamari, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spinach Layer:: Place spinach in colander, press out excess liquid and set aside. Spray second skillet with nonstick vegetable spray, and, over medium-high heat, sauté onions and carrots. Cook 3 minutes, or until carrots begin to soften. Add sun-dried tomatoes and vegetable broth. Reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assembly:Put 1 puff pastry sheet onto flat work surface dusted with flour. Separate one-third dough, cover with towel and set aside. Roll larger dough portion into 1/4-inch-thick rectangle 10 x 13 inches.
- Line loaf pan with dough, spoon mushroom-lentil mixture into bottom and top with spinach layer. Roll remaining dough into rectangle slightly larger than pan. Place over filling, and moisten edges slightly with dampened fingers. Gently slide butter knife between side of pan and dough, positioning top crust over bottom pastry and inside pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. 8. Turn onto serving platter. Slice and serve with pilaf and Creamy Dill sauce.
- Creamy Dill Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.