- 5 cups Mushroom stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tbsp Miso paste
- 2 cups Mixed mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster, and white mushrooms), chopped
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice (or short-grain Japanese brown rice)
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, add miso paste and mushroom stock, and stir well to combine. Heat the stock mixture on low heat. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until soft. Add a tablespoon of water or stock if they start to stick to the pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions and garlic, and sauté until onions are translucent. Add a tablespoon of water or stock if they start to stick to the pan.
- Add rice and dried herbs, and stir for 2 minutes, then add the wine. Cook, stirring continuously, until the wine has been absorbed into the rice.
- Add two ladles of mushroom stock to the rice. Simmer, stirring continuously, until the stock has been absorbed.
- Continue to add a couple more ladles of stock, each time stir until most of the stock is absorbed. Continue to do this until the rice is tender, but still al dente, about 30 minutes.
- When rice is done, remove from heat and stir in the sautéed mushrooms, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and black pepper. Garnish with pea sprouts and fresh herbs.