Orange-Ginger Tofu Bowl
Published on February 2, 2018 | By Chef Gina |
- Orange-Ginger Tofu:
- 1 block Extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup Freshly orange juice (or the juice of 1 large orange)
- 1 tbsp Ginger, grated
- Sesame Sauce:
- ½ cup Sesame seeds + more to garnish
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- 1 cup Cauliflower florets
- A knob of coconut or olive oil, for cooking
- Sea salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- A small handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion (scallion), minced
- 1/2 cup Slivered almonds
- Roast the broccoli and cauliflower:
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the broccoli and cauliflower on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and toss them with a bit of coconut oil or olive oil, sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Flip and toss around, and place back in the oven. Roast for another 10 minutes or so, until soft and slightly browned.
- Prepare the quinoa:
Place uncooked quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly under running water. Drain.
- Place in a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, lower heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the tofu
In a large, shallow dish, whisk together the orange juice and grated ginger. Add the tofu pieces and toss well to coat. Set aside in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, flipping the pieces once.
- Place the marinated tofu in a medium-sized skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, without moving the pieces (this will allow the tofu to brown nicely). Once the bottom is golden. flip and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes, or until nice and crispy.
- Make the sesame sauce:
In a medium skillet, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, blend the toasted sesame seeds with all the other sauce ingredients, using an immersion blender (hand blender) or in a high-speed blender. Add water to thin, starting with ½ cup and then adding more if needed, one tablespoon at a time, until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Assemble the bowls:
In serving bowls, spoon in the cooked quinoa, roasted broccoli and cauliflower and seared tofu. Drizzle the sesame sauce on top and garnish with chopped cilantro, minced scallions and slivered almonds.