Published on July 11, 2017 | By Chef Gina |
- 8 oz
- Plant-based bacon choices:
- 8 oz King oyster mushrooms, sliced into ¼" slices;
- 8 oz Shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced into ¼" slices;
- 4 Portobellos, sliced into ¼" slices;
- 8 oz Tempeh, sliced into ¼" strips;
- or 1 medium Eggplant, sliced into ¼" slabs and halve
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Tamari
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke, mesquite flavor
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Onion granules
- 1 tbsp Sriracha (optional)
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- pinch Smoked salt (or sea salt)
- pinch Black pepper
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil, if frying (optional)
- If choosing to use tempeh, steam the tempeh whole for 5 minutes to infuse more moisture.
- Mix the marinade ingredients (except the oil) in small bowl and whisk thoroughly. Pour marinade over the product you are using and carefully toss well to coat all slices taking care not to break the product.
- Place in a covered container or resealable bag and let it marinate overnight in the fridge. (For a faster infusion, vacuum seal the bag and allow to sit for at least 2 hours to overnight in the fridge.)
- Roasting: Assemble marinated product evenly onto an oil brushed, parchment paper-lined baking sheet and slow roast at 300° F for about an hour or slightly more until the pieces begin to dry and crisp. Flip mid way through this process.
- Frying: Using a cast iron pan on medium to high heat, add oil and place an even layer of bacon and pan fry, turning each side until darkens and crisps.