This is a great savory soup for fall, it’s simple, delicious, and creamy. Served with toasted pumpkin seeds and fresh tarragon.
Pumpkin Sweet Potato Soup
Published on October 29, 2013 | By Chef Gina |
- 1 large Yellow onion, medium dice
- 2 medium Carrots, medium dice
- 2 stalk Celery, medium dice
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 10 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 (15 oz) cans Pumpkin purée or 4 cups fresh pumpkin purée
- 2 medium Sweet potatoes, medium dice
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Fresh tarragon, chopped + extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Garnish: Toasted pumpkin seeds and tarragon
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1 tbsp water or vegetable stock at a time to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Add the remaining stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add the pumpkin and potatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the spices and tarragon. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool completely.
- Purée the cooled soup mixture with an immersion blender or a standing blender, until smooth and creamy or if you like, leave it a bit chunky. You may need to purée in small batches.
- Return the soup to a pot over low heat, and reheat, stirring often.
- To serve, garnish with chopped tarragon and toasted pumpkin seeds.