Tabouli (or Tabbouleh) is a Levantine vegetarian dish traditionally made of bulgur wheat. This gluten- and oil-free version uses protein-rich quinoa.
Quinoa Tabouli Salad
Published on June 11, 2014 | By Chef Gina |
- 1/2 cup Pecans, almonds or walnuts
- 1 cup White or yellow quinoa
- 2 cups Vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup Avocado, mashed
- 1 tbsp White wine or champagne vinegar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh basil, chopped
- 2/4 cup Fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Red onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 Red, yellow or orange bell pepper, small dice
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 Large tomato, small dice
- In a heated dry skillet, toast the nuts on medium, until starting to turn golden brown and fragrant (be careful not to burn them). Remove from heat and transfer to a cool plate or sheet pan. Once cooled, roughly chop nuts and set aside.
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Place quinoa in a medium saucepan with the water or broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover, fluff and cool in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mashed avocado, garlic, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and mix in the avocado dressing.
- Gently fold in all the remaining ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature, or chilled.