The cake portion of this recipe is nut-free.
Raw Carrot Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Published on February 19, 2016 | By Chef Gina |
- Makes 4 mini cakes
- Carrot Cake
- 1-1/2 cups Sprouted buckwheat, ground into a flour
- 1 cup Shredded coconut flakes, ground into a powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground ginger
- pinch Sea salt
- 2 cups Carrots, grated
- 1 medium Apple, grated
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Raisins
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup Cashews, soaked for 1+ hrs (drain and rinse before using)
- 1/3 cup Coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp Orange juice
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- pinch Sea salt
- Pecans, chopped
- Make the Carrot Cake
In a large mixing bowl combine the ground buckwheat, ground coconut, spices and salt. Mix until well combined.
- In a food processor, add the grated carrots, grated apple, dates, lemon juice, and vanilla, and process until well mixed, leaving some texture in the batter.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the raisins and mix well using clean hands.
- Place the carrot cake dough into 4 mini spring form pans and refrigerate for about an hour (or freeze for 20-30 minutes) to set.
- While the cake is setting, make the frosting.
- Make the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until creamy.
When the frosting is done, remove the cakes from the fridge and release the outer ring on each spring form pan and remove with the bottom plate. Place the cakes on a large serving platter or cake stand.
- Frost the entire cake starting with the sides first, then the top. If the frosting starts to get to soft before you are finished, place the cake in the freezer for about 30 minutes and the frosting back in the fridge.
- Press the chopped pecans on the sides and top of the cakes.