This spread is great for canapés, sandwiches or quesadilla fillings.
Sweet and Spicy Lentil Spread
Published on June 11, 2014 | By Chef Gina |
- 1/2 Onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Large yam, unpeeled, small dice
- 1 cup Red lentils, cleaned and rinsed
- 2-1/4 cups Vegetable broth or stock
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Sesame tahini
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Fresh herbs of choice (parsley, dill, thyme, scallions, cilantro), roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast – (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the onion, yam, lentils and vegetable broth to a boil. Add a bit more broth if needed, to just cover the vegetables with liquid.
- Reduce heat, partially cover, and cook on low until lentils and veggies are soft and fairly mushy – about 20 minutes. There should be no visible liquid. If so, drain it a bit.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, vinegar, garlic, cumin, coriander and crushed red pepper.
- Add the mixture to a food processor with the tahini, fresh herbs and lemon and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast if desired.
- Chill for at least 1 hour (it will thicken) and serve with veggie sticks, whole-grain pita or crackers.