Red Lentil Hummus
Published on September 28, 2014 | By Chef Gina |
- 2 cups
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Dried red lentils
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp White or black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika (for color)
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Heat water in a small saucepan over high heat until boiling. Add lentils and reduce heat to low. Simmer until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Drain through a fine mesh strainer and let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl then turn on and process for 30 seconds. (For ultra-smooth texture, use a high-speed blender instead of a food processor.)
- Add the remaining ingredients and process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then process another 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils to the food processor then process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth. If the hummus is too thick, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water (with the food processor turned on) until the consistency is perfect.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and serve.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to one week.