The rich, bold flavor of this tempeh bacon brings that smoky, savory flavor to sandwiches, salads, or entrees.
Published on June 24, 2014 | By Chef Gina |
- 12 strips
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 8oz Tempeh (soy, 5-grain, or wild rice)
- 3 tbsp Wheat-free tamari or liquid aminos
- 1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning Blend or regular black pepper
- Making the marinade: Combine the tamari, vinegar, tomato paste, maple syrup, garlic, and spices in a wide, shallow dish and mix with until the tomato paste is fully dissolved. Set aside.
- Preparing the Tempeh: Cut the tempeh into 1/8" to 1/4" strips lengthwise. Submerge the strips in the marinade and let sit, turning occasionally, for at least an hour and up to overnight. After marinating, remove the tempeh but save the marinade.
- Cooking the Tempeh: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh strips and cook for 4 minutes on one side or until the bottom is nicely browned. Flip the strips over and pour the remainder of the marinade over them or add a splash of water. Cover and let cook for 3 more minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and all sides are nicely browned.
- Remove from heat and serve.