Published on June 7, 2017 | By Chef Gina |
- 2 lbs Tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tbsp Ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp Chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large Red onion, diced
- 1 Green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp Liquid aminos
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 12 fl oz Dark beer (porter or stout)
- 1 (14-1/2 oz) can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can Red kidney beans, undrained
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the tempeh: In a large mixing bowl, add the tempeh and the rest of the ingredients. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a sauté pan, add some oil and let heat slightly. Add the tempeh and sauté until browned.
- Prepare the chili: Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and bell pepper. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to turn golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the tempeh, liquid aminos, garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, bay leaves, tomato paste, and Sriracha and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Pour half the beer to deglaze the pan. Stir in the remaining beer, the tomatoes and their juices, and the beans. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat and simmer gently until the chili has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with vegan sour cream and vegan cheddar cheese.