In this classic vegan dish I use turmeric to turn the tofu a yolk-yellow and black salt to give it the sulfur/eggy flavor.
Veggie Tofu Scramble
- 2 (14 oz) blocks Extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp Vegetable broth
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1 medium Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium Zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp Wheat-free tamari or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 3 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1-1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Black salt or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Place tofu on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels (to absorb liquid). Using a fork or potato masher, smash the tofu.
- Heat broth in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Stir in coriander and cumin and cook until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini and crumbled tofu and cook on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast and tamari. Continue to cook on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro then season with black salt, and ground pepper to taste
- Serve with tortillas and garnishes, as desired.